The navigation courses that we run will give you the skills and confidence to get out and explore the dales and hills with friends and family. All the courses we run are led by a fully qualified and experienced instructor and operate in the wonderful landscape of the Yorkshire Dales.
Do have a read of this blog . Top 10 Tips on Navigation
Location: The courses are run out of Long Preston, a small village in the Yorkshire Dales.
The initial part of the course is held at the Village Playing Field and then we will head off in to the wonderful limestone landscape of the Dales.
Map & Compass Work (1 Day Beginner) £55 per person
April 2nd (Full)
….or contact us directly for a different date if you are a Private Party of 4 or more participants
A 1 day course for beginners who want to be able to use a map confidently in the countryside and follow paths and other linear features.
- Understand how to use map symbols and scales, on a variety of maps.
- Take a 6 figure grid reference for any given position and also locate such a reference on the map.
- Orientate the map with and without a compass.
- Use the orientated map to identify land features and indicate direction of travel.
- Choose simple navigation strategies and routes.
- Estimate how long a walk will take using the map.
- What are contours and how steep is the land
- Plan a safe, suitable walk
- Understand access rights and responsibilities inc the Countryside Code.
Map & Compass Work (1 Day Intermediate) £55 per person
April 9th (Full)
May 14th (Full)
….or contact us for a different date if you are a Private Party of 4 or more participants
This 1 day course is for those wanting to leave paths and use a compass to navigate confidently on open land.
- Plan a safe walk or route and an estimate of how long it will take..
- Understand and apply the following components of a navigational strategy ‘aiming off’, ‘attack points’, ‘collecting features’.
- Demonstrate an understanding of contour features, both large and small, on the map and on the ground.
- Judge distance accurately on the map and on the ground.
- Employ simple relocation strategies when lost.
- Use a compass to take a bearing both in clear and cloudy conditions (ie: from the land or from a map)
- Use a compass to follow a bearing accurately.
- Understand the effect that rough/pathless ground has on tiredness and time.
- Further information on the Countryside Code and use of lands in the Yorkshire Dales
Private Day £65 per person
Private parties only of 3 or more companions with a maximum of 6. Please call or e mail.
These private days offer a mixture of guiding and navigation training. Instruction will be during the walk and be tailored to the standard of the group.
Each course will have a maximum of 6 and minimum of 3 participants. If it is larger a 2nd instructor will be used
Maps and Compasses are provided
You will need to be equipped with the following: Enough clothes to keep you warm and dry in all weathers (Jeans are not suitable for outdoor activities.); Waterproof clothing (Jacket and trousers); Walking boots; Lunch and drinks. We may slip a coffee/tea in though when you arrive!
If you would like us to book you in to one of the Long Preston inns or B & Bs just let us know, it is a great place to spend a couple of days.
To book your Navigation Course:
Please read our Booking Conditions and fill in the attached Booking Form
Alternatively contact us on 07824 304060 or email email@example.com